October in Dorset
The nights might be drawing in but there’s still plenty going on near us.
We’ve put together a selection of events within easy reach of Greenwood Grange that would be fun to attend if you are staying with us; some are even worth a special trip…
- Weymouth Speed Week 14th to 21st October – for an incredible display of skill and bravery, head to Weymouth to see sailors and boarders compete in the oldest and longest-running speed sailing event in the world. Kite boarders, sail boarders and sailors will see how fast they can cover 500m solely powered by the wind.
- Dorchester Literary Festival 18th to 22nd October – if you prefer something a little more sedate (and less damp) then the Literary Festival could be for you. There really will something for everyone with appearances by authors as diverse as crime writer Val McDermid, Christopher Biggins, Henry Blofeld and Hardy’s Cottage writer in residence Virginia Astley.
- Half term at The Bovington Tank Museum 21st to 29th October – head to the famous Tank Museum for a day out and find out more about these amazing machines. There’ll be family activities, vehicle rides and Tank Action displays.
- Enchanted Illuminations at Abbotsbury Subtropical Gardens 12th to 29th October – these stunning gardens will be lit with an array of colourful lights to create a wonderfully atmospheric spectacle. You could even combine a visit to the Gardens with a trip the famous Swannery next door where this year’s cygnets are learning how to fly.
We couldn’t create a list of things to do in October without getting a little bit spooky! So here are a few Halloween happens:
- Halloween Fun Day at Monkey World 31st October – kids in fancy dress get in free and there’ll be lots of things to do in the Activity Centre (also throughout half term week). This world-leading monkey sanctuary looks after primates who need a home and you can even adopt one of your own!
- Weymouth Freaky Streets 22nd to 30th October – Weymouth turns hair-raising during half term week with lots of fun Halloween themed events happening. There’ll be sand pumpkin carving, a fancy dress competition, a Thriller dance workshop and a Fright Night at Fantasy Island Fun Park.